QSO Start date not freezed on callsign exit

V2 error reports
SP5NZF
Novice Class

QSO Start date not freezed on callsign exit

Post by SP5NZF »

when moving out of callsign field qso start time should freeze (see manual page 35) - it does not even in settings set accordingly.
It only freezes if TAB is used.
Most of the time mouse- I go directly to NAME or QTH or NOTES while TAB goes to RST (which are rarely changed).
It makes errors in contest qso and other qso (my cw qso take long so error is significant).
When do u think u can fix it ?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSO Start date not freezed on callsign exit

Post by G4POP »

This is by design see page 94 of user guide and the other thread on this forum viewtopic.php?t=7819
73 Terry G4POP
SP5NZF
Novice Class

Post by SP5NZF »

Thanks Terry for you kind reply and continuing support.

Re other thread: I understand your point in saying losing focus is maybe not enough to freeze qso start date/time. But you've taken away function people (including me) liked "breaking" L4OM for us as TAB is:
a) bad UX for those using mouse
b) it leads me to wrong field (in most cases I do not change RST just name/qth/notes)

I'll try to prototype and come back with a scenario that could make more people happy (not just simple config choice of either: NO FREEZE, FREEZE ON TAB, FREEZE ON ANY CALLSIGN EXIT, FREEZE ON CALLSIGN->OTHER QSO FIELD).

All the best for You and The Team
Kuba, SP5NZF

p.s.: current manual on page 35 is no more true on "leaving callsign field" bit please do not change manual for now ;)
SP5NZF
Novice Class

Post by SP5NZF »

Dear Terry,
I've been looking into it since our last exchange - here are my results:

1. I've identified the following scenarios:

a) extended: Callsign, gathering some data before calling the runner - so here as you explained the qso does not start when one leaves callsign.
This is associated with more manual control, more fiddling and it is IMHO no problem to tap freeze/unfreeze (as per pre-2.23 behavior).

b) simple: Callsign, name/qth/notes sometimes rst and go to next qso. Applies to hunter and runner.
In this scenario freezing time manually is significant overhead over simple scenario and what is more important it is more error-prone as scenario is faster.
The way it is in 2.23 I forget to freeze and time on is wrong in 90% errors in time entry in case of my scenario - for me it is hard to stay with log4om if I make so many errors here and since our last exchange I see no improvements in my way of using l4om on CWT/pileups as I use mouse. For me it very serious problem.

2. My humble proposal for time-on freeze handling in one of next releases:
c) add 3-rd option in setup so to have freeze:
1) off (do not freeze) - as implemented as of 2.23,
2) freeze only on leaving callsign by TAB - as implemented as of 2.23,
3) freeze on leaving Callsign by ATB or mouse (maybe filtered just to going to predefined set of fields like name, qth, rst,notes,... and not freezeing on more complex scenarios, going to cluster, awards,...) - as up to 2.22 or slightly modified - the change.

or

d) leave off vs leaving callsign field (as described above) - partial go-back-to-2.22

3. IMHO in any case times should be unfreezed when starting new QSO entry (either due to Enter/Save or Escape/Cancel) - I understand keeping freeze would be good only for manual entry of multiple qso's - if u really want to time optimize this lenghty and not optimal operation a 4th option could be added to setup

73 and thanks for this great software and for all your time and support
Kuba SP5NZF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You left one scenario out!

Dont freeze unless time lock icon is clicked by mouse click, like many other ham radio programs
73 Terry G4POP
SP5NZF
Novice Class

Post by SP5NZF »

Yes but u made me used to excellent ux as of 2.22 and before making operation a dream.

Of course it is yr call, I just tried to explain my rationale and help this way to make my favorite and only pc logbook even better.

Thanks again and 73 kuba sp5nzf
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Next release

image_2022_10_26T15_40_00_469Z.png
image_2022_10_26T15_40_00_469Z.png (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
73 Terry G4POP
SP5NZF
Novice Class

Post by SP5NZF »

Great, thanks.

I hope clock freeze will follow this excellent approach one day when u find it appropriate.
73 Kuba sp5nzf
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I sent you a download link so that you could try it?
73 Terry G4POP
SP5NZF
Novice Class

Post by SP5NZF »

Thanks. I ll do it 1st thing g when I get back home tomorrow afternoon/ evening.
Tnx 73 kuba sp5nzf