Log4OM very slow

F4BPO
Old Man

Re: Log4OM very slow

Post by F4BPO »

Overall I face a lot of issues with Log4OM speed.
While working CW sometimes it takes the program 10 seconds to record the call after typing it.
Opening a contact to edit is same as you guys, takes more than 10 seconds.

Sometime in a pile up the log cannot follow up anymore and I need to close and re open the program and ask people to stop calling for a bit.

That is really problematic

I have a huge CPU threadripper AMD 2920x 32G Ram and prog is installed on a M2 drivem using MySQL db with only 4,000 QSOs and all disabled in performance.
73 de XV9Q Greg
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Latest version seems to help a bit.
Much faster but will see in a long run
73 de XV9Q Greg
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Hi guys,

After many tries I still face a lot of slowness issues.
Last Friday during a pile up after 1h30 and 250 contacts logged Log4OM started to heavily slow down, I had to wait for it to record the contacts before taking a new call.

I have tried a lot of different things:

- Switch from MySQL to SQLite to have a local db on the computer.
- On Performances menu everything is unchecked except perform call search on leave, VOACAP is enabled, CLublog status as well and CTY.DAT also. Retrieve profile image is disabled.
- Cluster is on auto start but I have cluster grouped.
- Limited the number of contacts shown at 100 (Program Settings / Grid default row count)

My database is not big, 5,600 QSOs.

It is especially true if I open the CW Keyer (tried both TCI and Winkeyer, same result.

Any other idea to help try making Log4OM faster ?

I love the program but during a pile up it is a nightmare for me.

Thanks

Greg XV9BPO
73 de XV9Q Greg
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

I can easily understand you getting slammed with calls with your location. ;)

See how things 'might improve' if you turn off VOACAP.

My performance settings match what you have noted. "Slim and Trim" ... so-to-speak.

I seldom use that item as it seriously slows down when enabled and my situation is mostly due to an old and slow laptop.

I see a massive change when I try with and without VOACAP.

It hogs resources big time.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Hi Stephen,

Good lead.
Deactivating the web page integration and VOACAP and oh my god, indeed much faster.
I will be testing again on a pile up next Wednesday and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for the hint on VOACAP.
73 de XV9Q Greg
9k2hn
Advanced Class

Post by 9k2hn »

I face the same problem every day, one solution is to disable qso uploading (qrz.com, clublog HRD log, and eqsl) while you are on the air this may help a lot
VK3AWG
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AWG »

I had the same issue and tried what 9K2HN suggested. It makes a huge difference. When clicking on a callsign in JTDX it now populates the callsign into LOG4OM and looks up the details almost instantly. With the update to LOTW and Club Log set to "Automatic on New QSO" it is very slow and comes up with the Yellow triangle warning it took too long.

EDIT: After testing this fix for a while I noticed the issue was still appearing. I have turned "Automatic on New QSO" back on.

Chris
VK3IK
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

I have tried all this and also after some time I am experiencing the same issue.
As mentioned in another post this is what I have done:

- VOACAP disabled (this is what helped the most)
- Program Settings / Performances: Disabled everything
- External services disabled all live upload (Clublog, QRZ, HRDLog)
- Cluster checked Show cluster grouped
- Info providers / Configuration: Disabled use Clublog database / CTY database.
- Disabled info providers (no more qrz.com data fetching) / downloading pictures is disabled also.

This week end while using Log4OM for All Asian Contest after 150 QSO in 2 hours it started to slow down so heavily that it was freezing for 20 seconds each time I entered a callsign.
Everything was disabled (no upload, no qrz.com fetching, no VOACAP, nothing...)

I switched to Win-Test and wow so fast to log...

Log4OM is not a contest logbook so I do not really care to use another one for contest but all this happen exactly the same way with day to day logging.

Also for me when I click on Station information in the settings it can take up to 1min30 seconds to show the window with the details.

Also launching Log4OM takes a very long time and stays stuck at clublog async for a very long time.

Last week I started fresh with a brand new install, did again my 4 config setup, it worked very well a few days and slowness issues started again.

I noticed that the bigger Data.gmdb the slower it gets. It is currently at 500Mb on my side and was 1.5Gb before I reinstalled everything...
73 de XV9Q Greg
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Data.gmdb is the map cache handled by the map component. There is a button to clean up it on the top menu of the program settings.
Anyway your performances are not acceptable but also not normal according to the vast majority of user configurations.
What cluster are you connected to? It's a skimmer?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
F4BPO
Old Man

Post by F4BPO »

Hi Lele,

Connected to VE7CC with rbn spots on
73 de XV9Q Greg