Awards

wb2bin
Advanced Class

Awards

Post by wb2bin »

First, I am no computer person and maybe what i would like to see can't happen but is it possible in a new release more of the awards be opened up like "DXCC". In other words when I click on an award it all ready has been "activated" instead of the user having to activate. I don't know the answer and maybe they can't be done but just asking. I think the new HRD does quite a few for us not computer folks.

Thanks,
Greg
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Awards

Post by KI5IO »

wb2bin wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 12:06 First, I am no computer person and maybe what i would like to see can't happen but is it possible in a new release more of the awards be opened up like "DXCC". In other words when I click on an award it all ready has been "activated" instead of the user having to activate. I don't know the answer and maybe they can't be done but just asking. I think the new HRD does quite a few for us not computer folks.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg,

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding your question, but you can choose which Awards you want to actively follow in your configuration setup.

Screen clip below is my current setting.
Attachments
AwardPrefs.JPG
AwardPrefs.JPG (84.64 KiB) Viewed 922 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

Nolan,
Thanks for your reply. I have all of the awards as active right now. For example I check "POLSKA" and nothing shows as worked when I know I have worked at least one and same for RAC, RDA, Chinese Provinces as just an example. What must I do without as I have heard "play with excel and import" I would like to just click on an award such as DXCC have have the computer tell me what I have worked.

I noticed you have IOTA, POTA active. I get nothing with I click on those awards and again I know I have worked a few. I don't ever show 13 colonies.

Thanks,

Greg
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

wb2bin wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 13:53 Nolan,
Thanks for your reply. I have all of the awards as active right now. For example I check "POLSKA" and nothing shows as worked when I know I have worked at least one and same for RAC, RDA, Chinese Provinces as just an example. What must I do without as I have heard "play with excel and import" I would like to just click on an award such as DXCC have have the computer tell me what I have worked.

I noticed you have IOTA, POTA active. I get nothing with I click on those awards and again I know I have worked a few. I don't ever show 13 colonies.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg,

You won't see the 13 Colonies or Route 66 Awards in the basic Log4OM Award distribution package. I built those awards myself for my own use. Easy enough to do and explained in our User Guide.

As for the award assignment to any given callsign you have to select the award and the related reference to that callsign.

The Awards search mechanism looks at the data in the 'notes' field as that is where such is typically noted, however OMs seldom put the data there.

As I'm making Q's with a given callsign I will select the Award and choose the reference and save at that time.

The one shown in the clip below is for the VE7RAC call I contacted recently. All the *RAC calls default on lookup to Ontario (as best I recall), but will be operating in a specific province so I picked up that more precise information as I made the Q with VE7RAC. VE7RAC was Ontario, but VO2RAC was in Newfoundland / Labrador.

Same goes for IOTA and POTA. You have to select the Award and the Reference and add to and save with the Q.
Attachments
awardchoice.JPG
awardchoice.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 916 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

Nolan,

As I have said, learn something new every day. I will try that but still do not understand for the awards that are there why it is not automatic like DXCC but maybe another day.

Thanks,

Greg
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

wb2bin wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 21:23 Nolan,

As I have said, learn something new every day. I will try that but still do not understand for the awards that are there why it is not automatic like DXCC but maybe another day.

Thanks,

Greg
Because the award reference is not included in an on line lookup from QRZ they need to be selected by the user. Whereas all DXCC wards are derived from standard QSO fields like Prefix, band, mode, state etc

Example: even if the lookup finds Prefix, state and county - Which POTA ref is to be selected because there could be hundreds of parks in the county! Same applies to SOTA and other special awards.

You old software probably stored the reference values in a Program defined field that is not readable from the ADIF file during import because its not a standard ADIF field.
73 Terry G4POP
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

Terry,

Thanks, that explains a lot.

Greg
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

wb2bin wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 11:34 Terry,

Thanks, that explains a lot.

Greg
If you want to email me the ADIF file, my address is on qrz, I will see if we could retrieve the references easier than you doing it manually in Log4om
73 Terry G4POP