LOTW Upload stalls

V2 error reports
K0HB
Old Man

Re: LOTW Upload stalls

Post by K0HB »

Terry,

I had wondered if the reason that TQSL "direct" handled the N1MM+ file OK, but TQSL "via Log4OM" failed might be related to the fact that N1MM+ builds a quite terse ADIF, while Log4MM adds significantly more information and thus a larger (about double the size) ADIF.

Perhaps that larger file was choking TQSL.

So I asked the LoTW guru "Is there an upper limit to the file size of an ADIF which TQSL will process?"

Here's the response....

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2023 23:24
To: ARRL-LoTW@groups.arrl.org
Subject: Re: [ARRL-LoTW] Log size?

No. However, there are practical limits.
TQSL assembles the file that's being signed in memory (compressing it on the fly) then writes that out to disk.
Hand it a file with hundreds of thousands of QSOs, and it's going to take a while :)
One of my regression tests is a file with 10,000 QSOs. TQSL handles that with no issues other than the delay while it's being processed. (circa 10 seconds for that 10K file.)

If you're really considering uploading a massive log, it's really better to break it up - once LoTW begins processing that log, that's it until it's done. Avoiding tying up the server for a long period of time is courteous to other users.
-Rick

Since my file of 900 QSO's is less than 10% of his test file of 10,000, my theory of "too large an ADIF" doesn't hold water.

Another thought was that my computer wasn't up to the task, but it is a pretty capable machine, with an I7 processor, 16gig of RAM, a half teraabyte SSD drive.

Puzzled.
DE Hans, KØHB
--
"Just a boy and his radio"
--
Superstition Trails ----> http://OldSlowHans.com