Superman takes on King Kong and Wins!!!!

General discussions V2
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Superman takes on King Kong and Wins!!!!

Post by W4EBB »

I have just been paroled from 6 weeks of UDP Hell thanks to the superhuman efforts of " A" Team member Rich McCabe. Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings with a single hop. I cannot say enough about the "way beyond the call of duty efforts" of Rich. It took lots of time and effort. And I thank him very much for that. Me knowing zero point zero zero about UDP meant I was down for most of the last 6 weeks. Rich even solved the timing out of log entries by JTAlert. I am so grateful. And this also points out the need for ANSWERS in the user guide, not Port Number puzzles that are poor substitutes and kept me down for the six weeks.
Charlie Webb
W4EBB
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Superman takes on King Kong and Wins!!!!

Post by KD0ZV »

Charlie, thank you for the kind words. I think you are embellishing things slightly though :)

It was my pleasure to assist and get to know you a little better.

Glad everything is now working. We will continue to work on simplifying the process but in your case you had a couple issues that were really not related to the setup. Corrupt Database and something jacked up with JTalert. Unfortunately all this coincided with our recent UDP changes so it was hard knowing what was causing what. As you know, even my attempts at setting things up per the manual failed so we had to start troubleshooting.

My best to you and Cynthia
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Several users have commented on the recent UDP updates. I'll publicly admit that I'm not familiar with the UDP concept, nor how it can be used to enhance LOG4OM. Has anyone created any videos or examples of what they've done with these updates?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 14:09 Several users have commented on the recent UDP updates. I'll publicly admit that I'm not familiar with the UDP concept, nor how it can be used to enhance LOG4OM. Has anyone created any videos or examples of what they've done with these updates?
Detailed explanations in the user guide and here is a quick guide to UDP with FT???? software https://www.log4om.com/l4ong/usermanual ... ith_JT.pdf

This might also mbe of interest https://www.log4om.com/l4ong/usermanual ... ce_1_1.pdf
73 Terry G4POP
nq4t
Novice Class

Post by nq4t »

WA2SQQ wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 14:09 Several users have commented on the recent UDP updates. I'll publicly admit that I'm not familiar with the UDP concept, nor how it can be used to enhance LOG4OM. Has anyone created any videos or examples of what they've done with these updates?
UDP stands for User Datagram Protocol; it's actually one of the core components of the modern IP (Internet Protocol) networking. The simple explanation is it's a very simple protocol for sending messages over a network. There's no fancy handshake or anything; it's just messages being sent to a port. But you also don't get a guarantee of delivery or ACK like you do with TCP. It's used in a lot of places; VoIP primarily uses UDP for calls, OpenVPN uses UDP for it's tunneling.

In the case of Log4OM...what UDP does is provide an easy and universal way for programs to communicate without relying on OS APIs or other system level calls. In fact a LOT of programs intercommunicate on a PC using this server/client network based system. It essentially allows LOG4OM to hook in to and interact with other programs. So when you hook LOG4OM in to WSJT-X for example, it knows if you've selected a call and it can put it in your log. Sure, WSJT-X also keeps a lot; but if you let LOG4OM pull it then it automatically gets sync'd like every other QSO. Of course UDP is also used so things like JTAlert can get the cycle decodes.

It's technically a simple way two computers can send information over a network. It's also an easy way to let programs exchange information on a system without complication.

Not FT8 related; but I did an application that takes the UDP status messages LOG4OM will automatically transmit and is able to display that on a auto-refreshing webpage. It basically sits there always listening for UDP messages to come over the network; when they don't it tries to ask LOG4OM if it's still alive and uses that to determine if it's LOG4OM not loaded or if the radio is just off. The automatic messages are only sent when LOG4OM has CAT to the rig. I posted a thread about it here a while back.