Default received band and frequency?

NZ5Y
Novice Class

Default received band and frequency?

Post by NZ5Y »

I find I forget things sometimes in recent years! One think I tend to forget is the received band and frequency settings on the log. So I'll make a qso, add the frequency which also updates the band, but then forget to type in the received frequency or received band. So it shows up as crossband, with the frequency 0 and the received band on what was the last one I entered. Is there a way to have the received frequency and band to be set to match the frequency I enter (the transmit frequency)?
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Default received band and frequency?

Post by KI5IO »

NZ5Y wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 16:10 I find I forget things sometimes in recent years! One think I tend to forget is the received band and frequency settings on the log. So I'll make a qso, add the frequency which also updates the band, but then forget to type in the received frequency or received band. So it shows up as crossband, with the frequency 0 and the received band on what was the last one I entered. Is there a way to have the received frequency and band to be set to match the frequency I enter (the transmit frequency)?
Steve,

Which version of Log4OM are you using? Click on: Help / About

The current version is: V 2.28.0.0

You don't mention if you are using CW, SSB, FT8, FT4, RTTY, etc., etc..

Regardless there should be no reason to have to manually enter in band/frequency values if you have CAT set up to let Log4OM communicate with your rig.

What rig do you have in your station and is it connected via CAT to Log4OM?
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Post by NZ5Y »

I do not have my computer connected to my radio. I'm doing logging manually. Just really getting going in online logging, been out of the hobby for 34 years or so.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Steve,

I would strongly suggest you connect your rig to your PC so you can utilize all the features of Log4OM.

In the meantime if you are currently making QSOs and writing them down in a notebook like we all used to do with the logbooks from year's past ... you have the information needed.

It would be easier to enter in those QSOs using the "Lazy Log" utility that exists in Log4OM.

You will find that utility at: Utilities / Lazy Log

Description of Lazy Log and how to use it is noted on Pages 40-42 of the CURRENT User Guide that is dated:

17/06/2023 11:39AM

Inputting your already manually transcribed QSOs via Lazy Log would be far easier. Many OMs do such after working remotely doing POTA, IOTA, SOTA events.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Post by NZ5Y »

No, I don't do paper logs. I have Log4om running, and when I make a qso I enter the callsign. The system then generally populates everything from online sources, but I have to enter the TX Frequency manually. The system then populates the TX Band field correctly. But the system doesn't change what's in the RX Band and RX Freq fields, they stay as they were from the last time I remembered to enter those, often several qsos ago. The result is I have a lot of entries that are uploaded to online logbooks as crossband, and I've just had to go manually fix a lot of that.

So it's not a program error, it's an operator error for sure. And maybe I'll get better at entering the received info. But it's so easy to just enter a callsign, a frequency, then hit enter and it's done. So I thought I may have set things up wrong, because it seems most logical that the system would automatically fill in the RECEIVED frequency and band when I enter the TX Freq (the system does fill in the TX Band from my TX Freq entry). That would protect me from myself.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hello Stephen,

normally the RX Freqoency is 0 and the RX Band is empty. The only thing you need to fill in ist the TX frequency shown in the red Box
in my screenshot. Also the RST must be in. If you leave it as it is all online services accept this as a contact in the 80m band. RX QRG
is only needed for crossband satellite or things like that. Leave it blank and you´re lucky .... 😉😉

Needed.png
Needed.png (23.17 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Post by NZ5Y »

Well that's even easier! I was concerned because when I looked up these qsos in LOTW it showed them as "crossband" and I know crossband contacts are not allowed for DXCC. But if I can just leave it that's even easier.

Steve
NZ5Y
Novice Class

Post by NZ5Y »

Ok, I've finally figured out what's going on here. For a recap, I'm not connnected to a computer so no CAT issues here. When I log a contact, I set the Band (TX Band), and leave RX Band blank (scroll to the top of the band list to the blank spot. And when I save, it leaves the RX Band field blank since I really don't need it, it's always the same as the Band. So all is fine. UNTIL I close the program. When I open it back up, the Band setting I had when I closed it is still there, but now the blank RX Band setting now matches the Band setting.

Not a real major issue, except now every time I change bands I have to change it on two places, and I often forget the RX Band and then it's wrong. I started noticing lots of "crossband" entries on LOTW and didn't know if that interfered with anything with confirmations, so I fixed and re-uploaded them. Now I fix them one at a time.

Anyway, mystery solved, it copies the Band to the RX Band when the program Loads (or closes).

Steve NZ5Y