Support POTA Hunting

dk7sm
New user

Support POTA Hunting

Post by dk7sm »

Dear Dev team,
I have an idea for a new feature which could be added to Log4OM to ease up operators life when hunting POTA parks. I formulated the idea in form of a user story with belonging acceptance criteria below to describe what I had in mind.

Hope this may find a way to your backlog.

Best 73
Michael, DK7SM

---

STORY:
As HAM Operator who is using using Log4OM ...
I want to easily see in the Log4OM user interface which operators are currently activating which POTA parks ...
because I don´t want to use any other additional tool to find out which parks are currently active.

Acceptance criteria:
* see which operators are currently activating
* see which frequencies and modes they use
* by clicking on the operator / park I want to set my rig to the proper frequency & mode using CAT control
* when logging the POTA reference should be pre-filled
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Support POTA Hunting

Post by G4POP »

We achieve this with SOTA because there is a cluster server devoted to summits on the air which is provided by the SOTA group.

Does POTA have a similar cluster server?
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

As an example here is the SOTA cluster in Log4OM and you will notice the award reference in the 'Notes' field received from the SOTA cluster is automatically inserted in the awards field when left clicking a call.

The problem is not all SOTA operators or chasers insert the summit reference in the notes field, without that we dont have a clue about them or where they are activating.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (93.84 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
73 Terry G4POP
k5vv
New user

Post by k5vv »

I've written a small program that queries the Pota API and runs a local cluster server. You could run it on your machine, then have Log4OM connect to it, giving the desired outcome.

Let me know if you want to give it a try.
JA9HWD
Advanced Class

Post by JA9HWD »

What do I need to run that server?
Can it be configured on the same PC running Log4OM2?
73, Kiyo JA9HWD
WX7V
Novice Class

Post by WX7V »

G4POP wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 12:53 We achieve this with SOTA because there is a cluster server devoted to summits on the air which is provided by the SOTA group.

Does POTA have a similar cluster server?
I’ve not found a POTA cluster in 4 years, despite a lot of interest. POTA does provide an API which other loggers have implemented. The API enables the logger to fetch POTA spots and related info (call, frequency, park reference) in a standard (JASON?) format. It would be great it Log4OMv2 supported this API so that we can use cat control, automatic uploads etc from Log4OMv2.

Chris de WX7V
WX7V
Novice Class

Post by WX7V »

Check here for a simple Python Script - ideally Log4OM should pass in the input parameters for mode and probably targets.

https://www.kc8jc.com/2023/02/02/simple ... er-script/
n0dr
New user

Post by n0dr »

k5vv wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 11:54 I've written a small program that queries the Pota API and runs a local cluster server. You could run it on your machine, then have Log4OM connect to it, giving the desired outcome.

Let me know if you want to give it a try.
I'd like to give it a try.