POTA Data Entry On New Contact

K8TJM
Novice Class

POTA Data Entry On New Contact

Post by K8TJM »

Hello All,

Started hunting POTA.

Is there a walkthrough on how to enter the park information into the new logged contact?

The way I'm doing it now is to verify on the POTA web site that I've been logged by my contact - say A1AA. Then in the edit QSO I pick the tab Award Refs, pick POTA from the drop down award menu, enter the park number in the References/search function, double click and it populates the lower left box with the park number. I then got to My Refs, click the drop down menu and pick POTA, enter the park number in References /search, double click the par number that shows up, click the checkbox for submitted and the checkbox for granted and then put confirmed in the ref status box. Click the disk to save and click the green check mark to save and close. I chose confirmed because all the information is already on the POTA web site in my Hunter Log.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Terry / K8TJM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: POTA Data Entry On New Contact

Post by G4POP »

K8TJM wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 00:46 I then got to My Refs, click the drop down menu and pick POTA, enter the park number in References /search, double click the par number that shows up, click the checkbox for submitted and the checkbox for granted and then put confirmed in the ref status box. Click the disk to save and click the green check mark to save and close. I chose confirmed because all the information is already on the POTA web site in my Hunter Log.

You can streamline this part by entering your POTA ref in the Program config/user configuration/station information/my references tab before you start opperating from the Park.

If you do this all QSO's made are recorded automatically for that location, remember to change it back at the end of opperation.

As for the confirmation status I would use the QSL manager to bulk edit those contacts after the event.
73 Terry G4POP
N6VH
Old Man

Re: POTA Data Entry On New Contact

Post by N6VH »

As a hunter, the easy way to enter the POTA number is to put "POTA" and the park number in the comments box - POTA K-0042 - for example. It will be automatically be put into the Award Refs. section for that QSO. If you are using WSJT-X (or other similar apps) along with JTAlert for FT8/FT4, put POTA and the number in the JTAlert comment box before logging the QSO, and that's all you need to do. If you don't know the POTA number, just put POTA in the comment box (either Log4Om or JTAlert), and the check My Hunter Log on the POTA web site, and then add it to the comment cox in Log4OM.

I don't deal with the submitted / confirmed part of it for POTA. It's either there, or it isn't. Just my personal preference.

Jim N6VH