Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

General discussions V2
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

Post by SA6TUT »

Hello Log4OM community,

I've been using Log4OM alongside WSJT-X, and I've noticed a behavior that I'd like some assistance with.

Whenever WSJT-X transmits to a new call sign, Log4OM fetches information about the called station from QRZ.com, which is exactly as expected. However, I've observed that each time WSJT-X finishes transmitting a message, the details of the called station get momentarily cleared, the text "Data Lookup..." shows and fields are refreshed (disappearing briefly before reappearing).

I initially anticipated that the station information would be retrieved from QRZ.com only once, as long as I don't initiate a call to a new station. My concern is whether this phenomenon is unique to my setup or if it's a common behavior for all users. Additionally, I'm curious if there are specific settings I should check to ensure that I haven't configured something incorrectly. I'm particularly worried that QRZ.com might view these repeated lookup requests as spam from my end.

Here are some details about my setup:

Log4OM Version: 2.30.1.0
Windows OS Version: 11
Rig: Yaesu FTDX10, PTT: Cat, Split operation "Fake it"
WSJT-X Version: 2.7.0-rc3
Gridtracker Version: 1.24.0104

I appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide to help me understand and potentially resolve this behavior. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

EDIT: Changed topic from "Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when using WSJT-X" to "Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency"
Last edited by SA6TUT on 12 Apr 2024, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
F4INZ
Novice Class

Re: Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when using WSJT-X

Post by F4INZ »

Hello Mikel,

I've tried to reproduce your problem on my setup :
Log4OM Version: 2.31.0.0
Windows OS Version: 10
Rig: Yaesu FT991-A, PTT: Cat, Split operation "Fake it"
WSJT-X Version: 2.6.1
Gridtracker Version: 1.24.0104 ---> same version

Log4OM callsign field only updtaes on first "double-clic" on first transmitting.
Others transmit operations doesn't show "Data lookups" label.

Perhaps due to Release Candidate of WSJT-X. If you use other softwares that are coupled with LoOM (fldifgi by example), do you have the same behaviour ?

Hope my test will be useful for you :D
Best 73,
Andre - F4INz
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Re: Log4OM Call Sign Lookup Behavior when changing frequency

Post by SA6TUT »

Thanks Andre for your reply.

It seems that a frequency change triggers a data lookup in Log4OM as illustrated in the attached video. Every time I change the frequency using the VFO knob a new lookup seems to occur. Also, if running WSJT-X in split operatin "Fake It" (which alters the frequency) it will trigger a data lookup each transmit cycle.

Unfortunately my video is to large (662 kB) according to the web site limits. I can't attach it.
JA9HWD
Advanced Class

Post by JA9HWD »

SA6TUT wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 15:37 Also, if running WSJT-X in split operatin "Fake It" (which alters the frequency) it will trigger a data lookup each transmit cycle.
If you use "Fake It" and the DF is between 1500 and 2000, for example, DF 1700 transmits and receives with the same DF, the transmission frequency should not change, so let's check whether there is a data lookup trigger.
Or you may need to adjust the polling delay value of the CAT control.
73, Kiyo JA9HWD
JA9HWD
Advanced Class

Post by JA9HWD »

SA6TUT wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 15:37 Unfortunately my video is to large (662 kB) according to the web site limits. I can't attach it.
https://ufile.io/
The shelf life is only about 2 weeks...
I think this is useful when showing large files.
73, Kiyo JA9HWD
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Post by SA6TUT »

Here is a video clip showing how Log4OM seems to look up the call sign every time the VFO is turned.

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... pVjJXgDJhV
JA9HWD
Advanced Class

Post by JA9HWD »

SA6TUT wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 09:45 Here is a video clip showing how Log4OM seems to look up the call sign every time the VFO is turned.

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... pVjJXgDJhV
In my case, there is no lookup when I operate the VFO dial, and there is no flickering in the marked area.
I'm using flrig.
Attachments
Shot 2024-04-16 204636.png
Shot 2024-04-16 204636.png (66.3 KiB) Viewed 341 times
73, Kiyo JA9HWD
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I don't think you followed the user guide instruction

In wsjt you do not select the radio as rig, its either alright or Omnirig depending on what your using

I think this is a port sharing conflict
73 Terry G4POP
SA6TUT
Novice Class

Post by SA6TUT »

Thanks!

Both Log4OM and WSJT-X are set to use OmniRig.

WSJT-X -> Settings -> Reporting -> UDP Server : 127.0.0.1, UDP Port 2237, all boxes on the right side are checked.

GridTracker -> General -> Receive UDP Messages: Port 2237
GridTracker -> General -> Forward UDP Messages: Port 2378
GridTracker -> Logging -> Log4Om Port 2236

Log4OM -> Configuration -> Connections: [UDP_INBOUND] [JT_MESSAGE] [2238] Gridtracker CAll
Log4OM -> Configuration -> Connections: [UDP_INBOUND] [ADIF_MESSAGE] [2236] Gridtracker Log

(127.0.0.1 is used wherever needed)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Are you running all programs using omnirig and omnirig to "run as an administrator""
73 Terry G4POP