Syncing 2 PC's Question

K2GC
Novice Class

Syncing 2 PC's Question

Post by K2GC »

I see in the user guide the comment regarding unexpected results. Am I ok having the software running on both, as long as I dont make entries on both at the same time?

Generally, if I am out doing POTA, I obviously wont be entering anything at my computer in my shack.... but I tend to leave Log4OM open. Will that be an issue?
Mike
K2GC
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Syncing 2 PC's Question

Post by G4POP »

You won't have any issues in your situation

The issues arise when youhave several stations in contest situation all logging at the same time, then it would be best to use MYSql instead
73 Terry G4POP
K2GC
Novice Class

Post by K2GC »

G4POP wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 16:56 You won't have any issues in your situation

The issues arise when youhave several stations in contest situation all logging at the same time, then it would be best to use MYSql instead
Thats what I thought - just wanted to double check.

I had tried using MySQL instead (as I am a big fan of it), but found it really slow (likely my hosing service) so I switched back to sqlite. Not to mention mysql requires a network connection, and for POTA thats can be problematic.
Mike
K2GC
K2GC
Novice Class

Post by K2GC »

Terry, a follow up question.

I saw in another thread you said to not use onedrive? what is the reason for this? By default onedrive is running in all of my computers, whereas I have to set up google or dropbox. So on a computer I am trying to keep 'light' for portable use, I would prefer to not have to install and sync these other services....
Mike
K2GC
VK3AWG
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AWG »

Hi Mike,
I run LOG4OM on two computers at the same time. The main version sends the contact to the second version on the second computer via UDP. I run the second instance so I can keep track of what I need to work for the DX Marathon.

Chris
VK3IK
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K2GC wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 01:20 Terry, a follow up question.

I saw in another thread you said to not use onedrive? what is the reason for this? By default onedrive is running in all of my computers, whereas I have to set up google or dropbox. So on a computer I am trying to keep 'light' for portable use, I would prefer to not have to install and sync these other services....
Quiet often users found windows security for OneDrive blocked reading and writing to files and folders for no apparent reason
73 Terry G4POP
K2GC
Novice Class

Post by K2GC »

G4POP wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 08:03

Quiet often users found windows security for OneDrive blocked reading and writing to files and folders for no apparent reason
Gotcha - what I have noticed, is its SLOW compared to dropbox.... Granted, I havent used dropbox in a very interactive way in many years (used to use it with One-note across the desk from another user, and it would update notes almost instantly - was really cool!)

I may have to migrate to dropbox in the near future...
Mike
K2GC
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

K2GC wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 20:10

Gotcha - what I have noticed, is its SLOW compared to dropbox.... Granted, I havent used dropbox in a very interactive way in many years (used to use it with One-note across the desk from another user, and it would update notes almost instantly - was really cool!)

Mike,

Log4OM is making two backups for me. The "prime" backup goes to a folder I've established under the 'Document' folder. The "secondary" backup is put on my Dropbox.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try Google Drive I prefer it and I think you get more free storeage
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KI5IO wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 00:36

Mike,

Log4OM is making two backups for me. The "prime" backup goes to a folder I've established under the 'Document' folder. The "secondary" backup is put on my Dropbox.
Not about backups Nolan
73 Terry G4POP