"SAM" mode with Flex Software

General discussions V2
WA2SQQ
Old Man

"SAM" mode with Flex Software

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry / Admins
I've been meaning to mention this for some time. I run a lot of AM with my Flex 6500. When i place the receive mode to "SAM" Synchronous AM, LOG4OM detects this as FT8 mode. Normal AM is detected OK. I'm not sure if this is an issue with FLEX or LOG4OM. I have the means to address it with FLEX, but I would need to know some specific details on what data LOG4OM uses to detect the radio's operating mode. Can you provide? SAM would use the same data values as AM, so I'm thinking that it's Flex that sends different data when in SAM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: "SAM" mode with Flex Software

Post by G4POP »

SAM is AM so Flex should just send AM nothing else!

SAM is not even a recognised ADIF submode of AM so no complication there
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry / Daniel
I believe that you misunderstood what was occurring.
1. You are correct, SAM is not a recognized "mode" in the ADIF syntax. In this case SAM is a "receive only" mode that FLEX radios offer for third party remote control software.
2. LOG4OM uses CAT data to identify what "mode" the radio is in. The mode which is displayed on the main screen just below the "Band"
3. Refer to the info below and you will see that DIGU, used when using FT8, sends ZZMD 07:. This is obviously coded correctly since LOG4OM displays "FT8".
4. When in SAM (receive only) FLEX sends ZZ MD10: via the CAT data. Where is ZZ MD10: currently mapped to?
5 The SAM CAT command is implemented for remote operation third party software that communicates with FLEX radios, which other brand radios would not use. And, you are probably thinking so what is the problem if its only about a receive mode? The problem is, the AM contact is logged as an FT8 contact.

SOLUTION
Very easy, when ZZ MD10 is recognized LOG4OM simply needs to remap it to ZZ MD 06 (AM).
FYI, HRD had the same issue which was corrected.

FLEX-6000 Signature Series - SmartSDR CAT Software User’s Guide
Page 31 of 47
Copyright 2019 FlexRadio Systems. All Rights Reserved.
ZZMD Sets or reads VFO A DSP Mode
Get ZZMD ;
Set ZZMD P1 P1 ;
Answer ZZMD P1 P1 ;
P1 Values:
00 LSB
01 USB
03 CWL (Mode is CW, Lower Sideband style tuning)
04 CWU (Mode is CW, Upper Sideband style tuning)
05 FM
06 AM
07 DIGU
09 DIGL
10 SAM
11 NFM
12 DFM
20 FDV
30 RTTY (ASKF – requires third-party RTTY software)
40 DSTR (D-STAR requires ThumbDV waveform and dongl
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Response or comment?