Add External UDP message for Transmit Frequency (For Palstar HF and 3rd Pary Apps)

w9nz
Novice Class

Add External UDP message for Transmit Frequency (For Palstar HF and 3rd Pary Apps)

Post by w9nz »

I would like Log4OM ver2 to include a useful feature found in the N!MM+ logger.

Specifically, the ability to have a UDP message containing the TX (transmit) frequency. This would allow 3rd party APPs such as antenna tuners, etc. to follow the transmit frequency and to make changes based on the TX frequency.

In my specific case I'm using a Palstar HF tuner in conjunction with Terry G. Glagowski's PhD (W1TR) tuner application. In order for the tuner application to know the transmit frequency, multiple other programs need to be running such as FLDIGI in order for the transmit frequency information to be available. Workable but a bit messy.

N1MM+ (contest logging program) on the other hand works seamlessly with the tuner application because N1MM make the transmit frequency TX available via a UDP packet.

If Log4OMv2 had a UDP packet that contained the TX frequency it would be very useful to multiple 3rd party applications.

TO THE LOG4OM TEAM:
In the N1MM Logger+ documentation dated 2023-10-09, which is available on line, there is a section in the Appendice (p741-751) that covers the topic "External UDP Messages". There are code examples.

Terry Glagowski (W1TR) suggested using the RadioInfo UDP packet as a reference but to change the <app>N!MM</app> element to something like <app>Log4OM</app>. If further information or clarification is necessary, I would suggest contacting Terry Glagowski, PhD directly at tggsystems@gmail.com

Regards,

Ray Mikula (W9NZ) formerly WA9ZVF
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Add External UDP message for Transmit Frequency (For Palstar HF and 3rd Pary Apps)

Post by G4POP »

You will probably find our existing UDP outbound data connections will work, it works with RF Kits amplifiers fine - See page 208 of our user guide for more info
73 Terry G4POP
N8HO
Novice Class

Re: Add External UDP message for Transmit Frequency (For Palstar HF and 3rd Pary Apps)

Post by N8HO »

I too would like to see ability to have a UDP message containing the TX (transmit) frequency. It would be great to have my Palstar HF tuner automatically track with the frequency of my transceiver.

Howard N8HO
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N8HO wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 13:21 I too would like to see ability to have a UDP message containing the TX (transmit) frequency. It would be great to have my Palstar HF tuner automatically track with the frequency of my transceiver.

Howard N8HO
Did you try my suggestion above? Works with RF kits amps!
73 Terry G4POP
N8HO
Novice Class

Post by N8HO »

I am not literate when it comes to setting up UDP connections. My rotor and Alpha 9500 are setup for outgoing UDP messages. The Alpha follows frequency very well. As a matter of fact, it follows the receive frequency which is ideal. Here is a portion of my Connections screen. What should I enter for UDP Outbound Connections script to test the HF-Auto tuner?

UDP Outbound Connections

[UDP_OUTBOUND] [PSTROTATOR] [12040] PSTROTATOR
[UDP_OUTBOUND] [PSTROTATOR] [12061] ALPHA 9500

Thanks and 73,
Howard N8HO
w9nz
Novice Class

Post by w9nz »

To Terry (G4POP)

WHAT is the name of the packet that it broadcasts (in the configuration panel for Log4OM) that has the TX frequency.

Thanks,
Ray Mikula
W9NZ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

w9nz wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 19:04 To Terry (G4POP)

WHAT is the name of the packet that it broadcasts (in the configuration panel for Log4OM) that has the TX frequency.

Thanks,
Ray Mikula
W9NZ
You dont need to selct one!

The instruction in the user guide is all you do as below. That causes a unique UDP to be sent to the selected port or to be broadcast, the hardware client does not need to know a UDP name it just receives the messge.

Connection/Remote control tab
• Select Enable data output through UDP’
• Enter the required port number
• Either select ‘Broadcast’ or ‘Send to specific IP address’ and enter the IP address of the hardware.
• If required check ‘Send 5 second status messages’
• Click ‘Save and apply’
73 Terry G4POP
w9nz
Novice Class

Post by w9nz »

First I would like to thank Terry who answered my questions quickly. Sorry that I missed some obvious things in the manual.

The bottom line is that Log4OM and the Palstar HF App by W1TR will now work together. Go to the HF-Auto group.io site and and look for HFAUTO v3.9.9.9 Now Supports Log4OM.....posted by W1TR.Ham@gmail.com on Nov 2, 2023.