Adding new primary callsign

va3sfm
Novice Class

Adding new primary callsign

Post by va3sfm »

Good morning; I have been using LOG4OM for some time now.
Thankyou very much for your efforts, fantastic software.
I have a new callsign and would like to use it with my logbook while still maintaining my old callsigns log so I don't have to start all over again for confirmations and awards etc.
Can you please tell me the best way to accomplish this.

Scott
VA3SFM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Adding new primary callsign

Post by G4POP »

va3sfm wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 14:27 Good morning; I have been using LOG4OM for some time now.
Thankyou very much for your efforts, fantastic software.
I have a new callsign and would like to use it with my logbook while still maintaining my old callsigns log so I don't have to start all over again for confirmations and awards etc.
Can you please tell me the best way to accomplish this.

Scott
VA3SFM
Just change the call sign in the Program config/station info tab but dont forget to also change your call on any on line logging like LOTW, QRZ, EQSL etc and link all of your calls on those on line logs so that the Log4OM uploads will work correctly.

All new QS's will then be logged to your main logbook but can be filtered by the station call sign for checking awards or sending QSL cards etc
73 Terry G4POP
va3sfm
Novice Class

Post by va3sfm »

Good morning Terry;
A few days ago I changed my primary callsign from va3sfm to ve3rcc.
It has been changed in qrz.
My logbook was merged with ve3rcc
I am having a problem getting my auto upload from log4om to work again into my qrz logbook.
Can you answer this for me please ...
Should my auto uploads be pointing at my va3sfm logbook or my new ve3rcc logbook.
I have actually tried both qrz logbook api keys in the log4om software but I am having no success.
Prior to the callsign change it was working great.
I would also note that my ability to check the callsign database on qrz direct from log4om is working fine.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Scott
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You should be using your new call sign as the station, user and owner call sign in the log4om config station info and also in the config confirmation section for are upload with the appropriate API key.
73 Terry G4POP
va3sfm
Novice Class

Post by va3sfm »

Hey Terry;

Thanks alot for that info.
I am still having trouble.
I emailed qrz tech support too and they said "QSO records using VA3SFM should be imported into the VA3SFM logbook and likewise VE3RCC QSOs should be imported into the VE3RCC logbook"
Fair enough.
When I contacted them for the changeover to my new callsign I of course told them I do not want to start all over again for awards etc so can the logbooks be combined. The answer was yes and he went ahead and did that for me.
So this is the point where I am lost I guess.
If I go into qrz I have 2 logbooks, each with their own api...... one for va3sfm, the old callsign and one for the new ve3rcc.
The va3sfm logbook shows all my contacts right up until the changeover on the 18th as I would expect.
My ve3rcc logbook is empty, which makes sense since I have not been able to get log4om to auto upload yet.
I have set the ve3rcc logbook as my default logbook in Qrz properties.
I had thought that any contacts made from the 18th forward using ve3rcc would be appended to my va3sfm logbook thereby allowing me to search previous contacts etc. inside of qrz but if I am reading his response correctly that is not true.
I know that this question is not specifically about log4om but I was hoping you could confirm what I am thinking.

To the point with log4om however .... I have done all that you suggested and am not able to get the auto upload to work to the either of the qrz logbooks.
As I mentioned above, if I am right, I should be pointed at my new ve3rcc logbook on qrz, set it in the properties as my default logbook and use that logbook's api key inside of log4om.

I am at a loss what to try next Terry.
I have created a couple of dummy entries in the log to test my upload but no joy.
When I look at both entries under "recent qso's" I can see that Qrz Com Sent shows "requested" and not "yes" as all of my entries made before the 18th.

As an aside, Clublog and Eqsl are both working fine as far as I can tell.

Apologies for the long winded explanation Terry.

Hope you can help,

Scott
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

va3sfm wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 18:57 If I go into qrz I have 2 logbooks, each with their own api...... one for va3sfm, the old callsign and one for the new ve3rcc.
Because you have two logbooks, one for each call registered at QRZ

I had thought that any contacts made from the 18th forward using ve3rcc would be appended to my va3sfm logbook thereby allowing me to search previous contacts etc. inside of qrz but if I am reading his response correctly that is not true.

No the QSO's in QRZ are aligned with the logbook for which your call applies with QRZ, unlike Log4OM where we can filter the appropriate calls for one single database.

If the QSO uploaded has your new call as the 'Station call' in the ADIF it must go the the QRZ logbook for that call

Combining the two logs for award status at QRZ is a different matter, talk to them about that.

I have done all that you suggested and am not able to get the auto upload to work to the either of the qrz logbooks.
If you have set up as in the screen shots below then it should upload all QSO's in the Log4OM database that you logged using your new call to the QRZ logbook for that call.

Station.jpg
Station.jpg (166.95 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Station2.jpg
Station2.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

In log4OM you can view awards for both calls, your old call or your new call by selecting which you want to view

award.jpg
award.jpg (167.77 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
73 Terry G4POP
PA3BZT
Novice Class

Post by PA3BZT »

In QRZ.com you can set your old callsign as Alias in your new callsign configuration.
When searching with your old callsign, the Search will show your new callsign.
I see this Alias setting used by other hams having multiple calls, so maybe this helps.

73, Fred
va3sfm
Novice Class

Post by va3sfm »

Good morning guys;

Thanks so much for your help.
So, after alot of poking around and obvious frustration, I believe I finally figured it out.

In qrz I went into my va3sfm logbook and noticed that the "end date" for that logbook was set to sometime in 2024.
As I mentioned above, along with help from the qrz admins I switched to my new callsign .... ve3rcc on the Feb 18th.

So, in my va3sfm callsigns logbook settings / logbook properties I changed the "end date" to the 18th.

Put a test qso into log4om and after about 90 seconds, voila ... auto upload to my ve3rcc logbook.

Hope this helps someone else searching the forums.

Thanks alot for everyone's help here.

Scott
VE3RCC