Hamlib version used in Log4OM

G4DWV
Old Man

Re: Hamlib version used in Log4OM

Post by G4DWV »

Jurgen,

Hamlib only is included by default in WSJT-X and JTDX. Considering the success of FT8, one may assume that it works for many people. This is not double helped by one of the main devs of WSJT-X being a Hamlib dev too.

I have had nothing but headaches with Omnirig, not helped by Log4OM 2 showing a green light when things are broken. v1 was much better in this regard.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 13:24 Jurgen,

Hamlib only is included by default in WSJT-X and JTDX. Considering the success of FT8, one may assume that it works for many people. This is not double helped by one of the main devs of WSJT-X being a Hamlib dev too.

I have had nothing but headaches with Omnirig, not helped by Log4OM 2 showing a green light when things are broken. v1 was much better in this regard.
Guy,

OK ... you keep saying you have OmniRig problems (multiple times in this thread and others) ... yet (even after being asked by myself and other support team members you have not taken the time to share the details of your issues so that we can be given an attempt to help resolve them for you.

At the very least other OMs might see a similar situation that you are experiencing and our interchange of thought might be helpful for them.

So ... AGAIN ... please take the time and follow Doug Munday's FAQ about outlining an issue and let's get down to brass tacks and see if it can be resolved.

It may not be possible, but your continuing to gripe about a problem without any details does none of us any good.

We're standing by waiting on your detailed description of problems with OmniRig.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

You will not get my description of the Omnirig issues because I want to use hamlib instead. The latter has always worked for me and I just need to know how the hamlib in Log4OM can be made to show a list of the latest rigs that are supported.

I do NOT want help with Omnirig, but with Hamlib as used in Log4OM.
Last edited by G4DWV on 07 Jun 2020, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Back to my Omnirig and the two radios minor issue.

Settings/Software
Log4OM ver 2.6.1.0 running under Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (2004 ver)
Omnirig 1.19
Neither of above are running as Administrator.

Rig 1, K3 on RS232
Rig 2, IC-9700 via USB cable (now configured in rig and Omnirig as an IC-9700, CI-V set as A2)

Scenario 1. Log4OM started with both radios turned off.
Turning on Rig 2 first, Log4OM recognises the radio and displays the frequency.
Turning on Rig 1, as above and both radios show correct display. No issues. It also works if I just turn on Rig 1 first. Effectively, I can run the logging program and then turn on either radio, select it in Log4OM and all is well.

Scenario 2. Log4OM running with Rig 1 and 2 turned on. Rig 1 is selected.
Turn off Rig 1. Display shows OFF Line. Cannot select Rig 2 now, even after turning Rig 2 off and on again. If I turn on Rig 1, so both rigs are powered, I can now select either rig.

Scenario 3. Both rigs turned on, Rig 2 selected. Turn off rig 2. Now I cannot select rig 1, ie the same as scenario 2.

In a nutshell, turning off a radio while it is selected in Log4OM results in not being able to select the other in a two radio station setup, the quick fix is to turn the radio back on, select the other radio in Log4OM and power down the unwanted radio.

OK, so it's a minor irritation and I am not sure whether the issue is Log4OM, Omnirig, or a setting in the radios.

Anyone else able to replicate the issue when using two radios?

73 Dave
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Dave, I would be grateful if you could start your own thread, rather than hijack mine with a different issue.
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 22:56 Dave, I would be grateful if you could start your own thread, rather than hijack mine with a different issue.
Sorry, perhaps it should be a rig control thread. BTW, what issue do you have with Omnirig? It works fine on my IC-9700 which must be similar to your 7300.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 22:37 You will not get my description of the Omnirig issues because I want to use hamlib instead. The latter has always worked for me and I just need to know how the hamlib in Log4OM can be made to show a list of the latest rigs that are supported.

I do NOT want help with Omnirig, but with Hamlib as used in Log4OM.
Guy,

Tnx you very much for finally adding clarity for me and my aging gray matter. I'll stop pestering you about OmniRig data poiints - ;)

Have you looked into using any other IC configurations that may work across a couple different model numbers?

I will do some additional digging to see about your particular Icom 7300 and its hard to find profile in HamLib.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

KI5IO wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 23:41 Guy,

Tnx you very much for finally adding clarity for me and my aging gray matter. I'll stop pestering you about OmniRig data poiints - ;)

Have you looked into using any other IC configurations that may work across a couple different model numbers?

I will do some additional digging to see about your particular Icom 7300 and its hard to find profile in HamLib.
Hi Nolan,

Oy, don't talk to me about grey matter. 'Senior moments' have become an ever more frequent occurrence, hi hi.

Other rigs are missing in the Log4OM list, like the IC-7610. I have not tried other rigs at this point. I want to get to the bottom of the mystery first, grey matter permitting!
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 02:34
KI5IO wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 23:41 Guy,

Hi Nolan,

Oy, don't talk to me about grey matter. 'Senior moments' have become an ever more frequent occurrence, hi hi.

Other rigs are missing in the Log4OM list, like the IC-7610. I have not tried other rigs at this point. I want to get to the bottom of the mystery first, grey matter permitting!

I suggest that you contact Michael Black W9MDB who is the current Hamlib open source developer for update advice, there are many Google posts asking the same question
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Guy, I posted this in another thread where another ham was having issues with an Icom rig. I use Minos for VHF/UHF contests, and I think it uses only Hamlib and AFAIK currently has no IC-7300 or IC-9700 settings... but Omnirig has both and the IC-9700 setting works with my IC-9700:

This is from the rig control page (p 52) in the Minos VHF/UHF contest logging program user guide and may be relevant:

you need to ensure that "CI-V Echo Back" is "ON" in the settings

All Icom rigs need Transceive OFF and USB Port Link to remote.

73 Dave