can I sync program settings with Dropbox?

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G1YBB
Old Man

can I sync program settings with Dropbox?

Post by G1YBB »

I have Dropbox set up and working to sync my logbook across different PCs, but I was wondering if I could do the same with the settings?
Settings like online logging account and password settings, column views and widths I have set up, saved searches for the filters, cluster personalisation (ie what bands it shows spots for) etc?

Looking at the manual dated 02/02/2015 5:16pm, page 154 item b) it looks like I can extract the settings, but can I tell Log4OM to use a shared dropbox folder for this?

On Settings/Settings 1 tab I can see a "View Config Path" button and options for backup folder, which I assume are related, but can't see a way to tell Log4OM to use config files in a new location.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: can I sync program settings with Dropbox?

Post by G4POP »

The easy way is to install our portable version in Dropbox then run it from each computer or Windows tablet - That's what I do!
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

that sounds like an idea. Will I need to uninstall the installed version before using the portable version?
If so how can I protect/re-use the setting up I have done so far?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G1YBB wrote:that sounds like an idea. Will I need to uninstall the installed version before using the portable version?
If so how can I protect/re-use the setting up I have done so far?
First install the portable version to Dropbox - Install with administrator privileges

Now copy from your C:\............................\AppData\Roaming\LogOM folder the file named Config.xml

Paste that into the Log4om Dropbox folder called 'Config' and let it overwrite the existing file

You can either remove the program from your hard drive or leave it there until your completely happy with the portable version
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

that won't confuse things at all?
I find that portable apps generally still make use of the registry despite no install as such.

Eg, I have several versions of Firefox installed hanging around on the HD, but each one will 'take over' the current registry settings, so whilst they are essentially separate installs they share common registry entries and common files.

Presumably also, the portable version has the same functionality completely as the 'installed' version?

I'm just fearful of breaking my now working quite nicely setup.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Unlike other software Log4OM does not scatter entries all over the registry, just one pointer to the program and nothing for the portable version unless you put a shortcut on the desktop
73 Terry G4POP
G1YBB
Old Man

Post by G1YBB »

G4POP wrote:Unlike other software Log4OM does not scatter entries all over the registry, just one pointer to the program and nothing for the portable version unless you put a shortcut on the desktop
great!! thanks
G1YBB
Old Man

Re: can I sync program settings with Dropbox? UPDATE

Post by G1YBB »

Finally I have this sorted.

Took me a little while to get to setting up the portable version on my main PC. That all worked fine.
But my other test PC at the time refused to connect to dropbox. Or more accurately, the IT admin on the system was blocking it, probably due to poor settings on all the restriction software and proxies in place.

Anyhoo, dropbox came back to life recently.
I got all my actual settings nicely, but as the QSO database was also in dropbox, within default place in user profile documents folder, starting Log4OM on the test PC meant I had no QSOs, until I told it where to look.

Then of course, same thing again when back on main PC, no QSOs, looking in wrong place.

Fortunately Dropbox has a rather painless ability to move the synced folder from options. Moved both to C:dropbox, and all is well with the world.

All I need to do is actually turn on my Surface Pro 3 one day and set it up now.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I actually install the portable version on my Google Drive (same applies to Dropbox) and I store the logbook SQLite file there also.

Everything including my configuration is then always in sync on all of my computers, including my Lynx Tablet
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

A small note:
Configuration also contains ABSOLUTE PATH to some resources outside the configuration folder.
As an example, where the log file is stored, where you can find TQSL and similar.

So, if your dropbox/Google drive is phisically on the same place on every PC, or you need to manually select the database file/other resource files.

Everything related to Log4OM configuration that resides in /config folder is automatically found on start.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH